Philip Coyle established himself as a Wholesale Wine & Spirit Merchant in Perth sometime around August, 1904. His address was listed as 13 Barrack Street, Perthand was located in the spacious basement of Moir’s Buildings in Barrack Street, corner St Georges Terrace, Perth. The property then transferred to The Australian Temperance and General Mutual Life Assurance Society Limited in 1908.
Philip Coyle traded as “PHIL COYLE Wine & Spirit Merchant” and he imported international spirits particularly as Sole Agent for Glenoran No 10 Scottish Malt Whisky by Watson & Co. Coyle was also agent for many Australian Wines and he imported many other Scotch Whiskies. In 1921 he floated a Limited Company still at the same main address in Barrack Street, however the building by now was more commonly known as the T. & G. Chambers. The company did not appear to continue after 1922.
The Demijohn: This is a two gallon ceramic embossed P. Coyle Perth on the lip. The sides of the demijohn are matt finished suggesting most typically to be housed in a wicker basket. The demijohn is most likely West Australian made perhaps by Courtland Pottery in Belmont. Circa 1910. The contents was most likely imported bulk Scotch Whisky.